en - Re: commands in subject header

  • From: Olivier Salaun - CRU <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: commands in subject header
  • Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 09:55:55 +0200

David E. Bernholdt wrote:
> I think there is a bug in the processing of Subject: for commands.
> If someone sends messages with the following headers:
> Subject: subscribe
> Subject: Re: subscribe
> In both cases Sympa replies
> List '' does not exist
> and refuses to process the rest of the list (body), which may contain
> valid subscribe commands.

When sympa finds a command in the subject of a message it won't
process the body, to avoid multiple processing.

> The problem is that these are reasonable commands for people to have
> in their subject headings if they're trying to subscribe to a list
> with the actual subscribe command in the body.
>
> Interestingly something like
> Subject: Please subscribe me
> is ignored and the body does get processed.

Because sympa does not know the "Please" command.

> 1) Is there a simple way to turn off processing of the Subject header
> for commands?

Not without patching the code.
Commands in subject are very usefull especially for confirmation,
a reply to the message doing the trick.

Olivier Salaun