en - Re: virtual domains...; Moderator competition; MHonArc

  • From: Craig Carey <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: virtual domains...; Moderator competition; MHonArc
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 11:27:12 +1300

At 06:23 30.11.99 , Miles Fidelman wrote:
>Has anybody used Sympa to support virtual domains? If so, can you provide
>some basic guidelines on how to approach setting things up?

Symbolic links for Apache handle the webpage domains side easily.
My Apache file httpd.conf contains:

<VirtualHost 210.55.18.200>
ServerName thedomain.strongnet.co.nz
ServerAdmin address@concealed
DocumentRoot /www/docs/thedomain
<Directory /www/docs/thedomain/cgi>
Options FollowSymLinks ExecCGI
AllowOverride All
AddHandler cgi-script .cgi
</Directory>
<Directory /www/docs/thedomain>
Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
AllowOverride All
</Directory>
ErrorLog /www/docs/thedomain/errors.log
TransferLog /www/docs/thedomain/usage.log
</VirtualHost>

(The original was altered to 'thedomain').

Directory /www/docs/thedomain/arc/ contains unix symbolic links, e.g.:

dogs-list -> ../../address@concealed/

This is a sample aliases entry:

# DOGS-LIST Mailing List (Discussions)
dogs-list : "|/etc/smrsh/queue dogs-list"

dogs-list-request : "|/etc/smrsh/sympa2smartlist.pl dogs-list"
dogs-list-subscribe : "|/etc/smrsh/queue dogs-list-subscribe"
dogs-list-unsubscribe : "|/etc/smrsh/queue dogs-list-unsubscribe"
dogs-list-editor : "|/etc/smrsh/queue dogs-list-editor"
# dogs-list-bounce : "|/etc/smrsh/Bounce.pl dogs-list"
dogs-list-owner : sympa-list-owner

dogs-request : dogs-list-request
dogs-subscribe : dogs-list-subscribe
dogs-unsubscribe : dogs-list-unsubscribe
dogs-editor : dogs-list-editor
# dogs-bounce : dogs-list-bounce

Sympa2smartlist.pl did not handle the 'info' command.

These files: (sendmail) access, domaintable, mailertable, virtusertable,
sendmail.cw; and named.conf.

The calling of MHonArc can be done with wwsympa's archived.pl.

I have a small list with an archive at:

http://www.ijs.co.nz/arc/proxy-methods-list/1999/thrd1.html

I modified MHonArc x.4.4 to get a better threading at the bottom of
messages. That does away with the 'Follow ups' link(s) and 'Next thread',
and so on. That can be seen at the archive. ((I'll send the MHonArc
updates to Sympa.)

I tried out wwsympa and found it to be too slow even with fastCGI.
I probably didn't need it anyway: it's archived.pl script to drive MHonArc
is useful. I modified it so that it does not rename (+delete) the
e-mailed messages.

-----

I have a problem with my Sympa system: low quality messages are coming into
my list from a few individuals. I did not see a feature to prevent a single
individual from re-subscribing himself/herself.

-----

A problem area could be moderating: if there are 20 moderators, and
each needs to give a weighty consideration to messages, then 19/20
get to consider making a decision but would not be able to have any power
to use the result of their considerations. Throughput is slowed if the number
of moderators is less. That might improve quality but it is not ideal.

It would be nice if *all* messages sent to moderators gave the latest
information on which messages had been approved. To keep moderators up to
date, messages indicating that a message has already been approved, could
be sent even if that was the only information in the message. There is a
limit on the number of moderators.

I have an international list that is sure to get too much interest from USA
I want subscribers in 1-2 countires to delete unsatisfactory messages coming
out of USA. There is no need to have a only a few moderators. Reducing delays
is a reason to have many.

>Thanks much,
>
>Miles Fidelman

>Network Technology Corporation PO Box 600618
>Miles R. Fidelman, President Newtonville, MA 02460-0006
>address@concealed 617-558-3698
>http://www.ntcorp.com fax: 617-630-8946

Mr G. A. Craig Carey, address@concealed
Auckland, New Zealand.
Snooz Metasearch: <http://www.ijs.co.nz/info/snooz.htm>

  • virtual domains with Sympa?, Miles Fidelman, 11/29/1999
    • Re: virtual domains...; Moderator competition; MHonArc, Craig Carey, 11/29/1999