devel - Re: [sympa-developpers] REST API

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: David Verdin <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-developpers] REST API
  • Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2020 17:14:35 +0100

Hi Pawel,

That's great news! We are indeed interested in developing a REST API for Sympa, but never got the time...

On 21/10/2020 10:13, Pawel Grzywaczewski wrote:
Hello,

We need to develop REST API to integrate Sympa with internal systems. We found this project https://github.com/sympa-community/sympa-service-rest, but it looks quite empty, so we started from scratch.

First objective is to provide methods to create lists and manage members/owners.
Later we would like to have simple management of posting restrictions (open/closed/users and members of other lists).

For lists management we are planning to call command line tool from REST API.

Few questions:
- Any insights about the development and the approach we are taking?

I think you should base your work on the Request Handlers Soji developed. This is the overall way to ask Sympa to do something and you'll be sure to trigger the native Sympa authorization mechanisms whatever you do. For the actions you want to do, the request hadnlers already exist.

You can take examples in wwsympa.fcgi about how they are used.

- Could we have a chat with current developer(s) to understand what difficulties we might encounter? Any input/help is welcome.

the best way would be to create an issue on Github, The most active members of the community will be here to answer you.

Here it is: https://github.com/sympa-community/sympa/issues/new?template=feature-request.md

- Once the code is ready, would you accept a contribution?

Hell yeah!

Best regards !

David

Thanks,
Paweł

--
"Mieux vaut viser la perfection et la rater que viser la médiocrité et l'atteindre."
- Francis Blanche

David Verdin
Chef de Projet Collaboratif
Département PROduits NUMériques
Direction des Services Applicatifs
RENATER - Rennes

  • Re: [sympa-developpers] REST API, David Verdin, 11/02/2020