devel - Re: [sympa-developpers] Problem in rewrited sender gecos?

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: "Stefan Hornburg (Racke)" <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-developpers] Problem in rewrited sender gecos?
  • Date: Thu, 23 May 2019 15:11:02 +0200

On 2/27/19 2:39 PM, Luc Didry wrote:
> mercredi 27 février 2019, 14:27:48 CET IKEDA Soji wrote:
>> Hi again,
>>
>> I worry that, if comments were included in display name, it could form
>> a bit long text run. According to recommendation by RFC, long run in
>> header field should be folded, for example,
>>
>>> From: “IKEDA Soji (address@concealed via sympa-developpers mailing”
>>> “list)” <address@concealed>
>>
>> It could mess some poorly implemented MUAs which would treat the first line
>> of field content as an e-mail address.
>>
>> (Note that my name with chinese characters must be encoded using MIME “b”
>> method, display name can easily be longer than example above and folding
>> can occur more frequently.)
>>

> Okay then, since RFC says so, no pb for me (that's exactly why I
> posted that message before creating a patch).

a) if it is a recommendation, doesn't mean we have to follow it
b) we could add a config option how to format it
c) we might disregard "some poorly implemented MUAs"

In my personal opinion, *all* MUAs are poorly implemented - just some are
worse than others.

Regards
Racke

Debian and Sympa administration. Provisioning with Ansible.

  • Re: [sympa-developpers] Problem in rewrited sender gecos?, Stefan Hornburg (Racke), 05/23/2019