devel - Re: [sympa-developpers] Question about a complex setting I want to add

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: IKEDA Soji <address@concealed>
  • To: Luc Didry <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-developpers] Question about a complex setting I want to add
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2018 18:29:18 +0900

On Tue, 20 Nov 2018 11:35:08 +0100
Luc Didry <address@concealed> wrote:

> lundi 19 novembre 2018, 05:29:51 CET IKEDA Soji wrote:
> > I feel wildcard may be overkill. For example:
> > - gmail.de, gmail.com.br, gmail.co.kr etc. are registered by Google,
> > - gmail.us, gmail.co.jp, gmail.ne.jp etc. are registered by the other
> > organizations.
> > "gmail.*" will match with all of them and might replace them with
> > "gmail.com".
>
> To me, those domains are just typosquatting (only gmail.ne.jp has a MX
> record, the website does not respond and the port 25 is filtered by
> firewall), thus do not deserve consideration.

That's also the case of gmail.fr (honestly I didn't checked
usability of these domains. I just wanted to show examples of
confusion with existing domains).

> I can add a warning about the use of wildcard, though.
>
> > Exact matching or suffix matching seems better: Like Postfix's access
> > table for host name patterns (See Postfix's access(5) manpage).
>
> Mmh… Those are the patterns listed in this manpage:
> - user@domain => irrelevant
> - user@ => irrelevant
> - domain.tld => that's the exact match feature (without subdomains
> though)
> - .domain.tld => personnally, I only have 2% of my 303987 subscribers
> with a subdomain email and have never see one of thoses addresses
> mistyped. I don't think that would be very relevant. Even less if we
> keep the wilcard matching => *.domain.tld

I feel it depends on what sort of corrections you aim to.

If you want to deal with renaming/moving domains of particular
services, I think exact (and optionally suffix) matching seem
suffice.

If you want to deal with typos by slipping fingers of users,
matching rules (including wildcard) probably may not suit:
You may have to register typos as many as you can think out.

The other ways, e.g. checking DNS MX/A RR of domains through
AJAX calls during input by users, would possiblly be better.

> > On file format, lists' config is suggestive. Below is an example using
> > array of paragraphs (See also "Structure of configuration" in
> > Sympa::Config):
> >
> > ```
> > domain_correction
> > from gmail.de
> > to gmail.com
> >
> > domain_correction
> > from gmail.com.br
> > to gmail.com
> >
> > domain_correction
> > from gmail.co.kr
> > to gmail.com
> >
> > domain_correction
> > from wandoo.fr
> > to wanadoo.fr
> >
> > domain_correction
> > from wanado.fr
> > to wanadoo.fr
> > ```
> >
> > Currently sympa.conf is less expressive (I plan to integrate it into
> > Sympa::Config scheme above). Separate configuration file may be
> > required at the present.
> >

> That would be really verbose (I got a lot of corrections to do).
>
> You can see on
> https://github.com/ldidry/sympa/commit/ea40312cb83dace7f7447680edd139e028a1e7cb
> (just a WIP, the function will not be in src/lib/Sympa/Tools/Text.pm,
> it will be in src/lib/Sympa/Tools/Domains.pm once
> https://github.com/sympa-community/sympa/pull/478 will be merged) that
> I did it that way (small change from my previous message, since I
> splitted exact matches and patterns):
>
> {
> substitutions => {
> 'wanadoo.fr' => ['wandoo.fr', 'wanado.fr'],
> 'gmail.com' => ['gmail.de', 'gmail.com.br', 'gmail.co.kr']
> },
> globbing => { }
> };
>
> It's way more concise, practical (if you add a lot of corrections, you
> have all the same domain correction at the same place) and avoid
> repeating your-self

It depends. We should have to provide GUI to edit the configuration
(I think most of recent users will complain, if UI won't be provided).
Even if UI were not provided, it would be better to have simple format
which is easy to edit.

From these point of view, my format may look simpler to edit, and it
may be more or less easier to realize GUI reusing existing codes.

Regards,
-- Soji

--
株式会社 コンバージョン