devel - Re: [sympa-developpers] About two ways to Sympa 7 (Please answer!)

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: IKEDA Soji <address@concealed>
  • To: David Verdin <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-developpers] About two ways to Sympa 7 (Please answer!)
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2018 12:16:57 +0900

David, I want you to clarify a point:

On Tue, 27 Mar 2018 17:34:02 +0200
David Verdin <address@concealed> wrote:

> - we do refactoring in 6.2 which, on my opinion, should be a maintenance
> branch, in which only bug fixes should be done. I fear we break things.
> But then again, some bugs can be fixed only through refactoring.

"6.2 ... should be a maintenance branch" --- I have heard this
argument many times. However, what we have been doing in this one
year are not only maintenance. Rather they include "reconstruction"
because of problems which I pointed out at the beginning of the last
post and prevents us getting forward.

# N.B.:
# - As I wrote at 1 Dec., I'll continue my work on 6.2 for the time being.
# - Also, 6.2 will accept new things contributed by users, in the same as
before.

Argueing "Don't add new ones. Don't remove existing features.
Because it is maintenance branch" is easy. However it is just
dogmatism, if such argument was not connected to reality. --- In the
first place, as you (and me) described, we don't know even what is
the "feature" of Sympa.

Instead of abstract reasoning, could you please describe your thought
based on practical facts? --- Examples in this one year are there in
history of GitHub.

*

To others: Please answer the opinion by your own.
Please don't say like "if we decided, I'll also agree".

Please don't be irresponsible majority.

Regards,
-- Soji

--