devel - Re: [sympa-developpers] RFC introduction of DBIx::Class schema

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Marc Chantreux <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-developpers] RFC introduction of DBIx::Class schema
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2018 10:22:10 +0100

hello,

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 09:41:10AM +0100, David Verdin wrote:
> Why should it remain in a separate repository insetead of being directly in
> Sympa code (7.0 for example)? that's where it will be used after all.

i don't want to speak for racke but the separate repository would be my
strategy too because, as discussed during the hackathon,
one of the goals was to use the DB as a reference for configuration and
settings and config files should just be an convenient way to deal with
it (i really wanted the opposite to be true but it seems there was a
large positive idea about pushing more things in the DB and i was agree
we need *one* reference for the sake of the code).

we also had this idea that we should stop thinking sympa as a
giant monolith but as a set of tools that mingle together to get the
sympa distro. that's why we created multiple repos so everyone can focus
on its work. the idea was also to be able to develop
alternatives/improvements without pushing anything in a large repo.

so for me, having schema out of the sympa code is just a first step.

regards,
marc