devel - [sympa-developpers] Change on bulk spool was Re: 6.2 / 7.0 organization in the coming months

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: IKEDA Soji <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-developpers] Change on bulk spool was Re: 6.2 / 7.0 organization in the coming months
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 13:36:41 +0900

All,

I made change on bulk spool to switch from database to filesystem
(see r11556).

> > - do you intend to move both tables (bulkspool and bulkmailer) or only
> > bulkspool?
>
> (a) One file by each packet.
> (b) One file by each message, and other file(s) by each packet.
> (c) One file by each message, and another directory with the same
> name holding files by each packet.
>
> Current implementation is similar to (b). I prefer to (a) because
> of easiness to implement.
>
> Problem of (a) is the space. Others won't increase space (rather
> decrease in particular case).

I chose (a). If this method has big problem, I'll change it to (c).
Comments are appreciated.

Regards,

--- Soji

On Thu, 11 Sep 2014 12:17:51 +0900
IKEDA Soji <address@concealed> wrote:

> [...]
> David Verdin <address@concealed> wrote:
>
> <<snip>>

> > > You said 6.2 would be released "in two weeks". Just a kidding!
> > > It is impossible even if you were Jacques Anquetil!
> > Ah Jacques anquetil... We never had such a good cyclist in France - at
> > least without drugs.
> > I was speaking about 6.2 beta, obviously, not 6.2 stable.
> >
> > I'll answer about your scenarios later, however I have a few questions
> > popping about moving bulk spool to filesystem:
>
> See attached text file for details (my private memo). I'll write
> only summary here.
>
> > - do you intend to move both tables (bulkspool and bulkmailer) or only
> > bulkspool?
>
> (a) One file by each packet.
> (b) One file by each message, and other file(s) by each packet.
> (c) One file by each message, and another directory with the same
> name holding files by each packet.
>
> Current implementation is similar to (b). I prefer to (a) because
> of easiness to implement.
>
> Problem of (a) is the space. Others won't increase space (rather
> decrease in particular case).
>
> > - how will you handle the metadata attached to mails?
> > - how will you handle message priority and packets priority, as well as
> > delivery time and such?
>
> Basically, I based on my proposal at 30 June:
>
> https://listes.renater.fr/sympa/arc/sympa-developpers/2014-06/msg00048.html
>
> Metadata and attribute can replace all DB fields in current
> bulk tables.
>

> > - if you move bulkmailer, don't you fear to have difficulties with the
> > readdir necessary to parse the bulk? Sometimes, you can have tens of
> > thousands of packets awaiting distribution. That implies a long readdir.
>
> In principle, DB accesses in current code (using LIMIT clause or
> equivalent) is similar.
>
> On the other hand, directory entries may be cached and reloading can
> be reduced. See pseudo-code in attachment.
>
> *
>
> > Maybe you could keep tables just for metadata and keep only receipients
> > and messages on the filesystem.
>
> No, metadata (by meaning of my proposal) is encoded in file name
> in the spool, if spool is based on filesystem.
>

> > Well, just so we're clear about advantages / disadvantages of moving
> > spools.
>
> Please note:
>
> Currently I don't consider of, say, short-term advantage (such as
> useful viewspool feature).
>
> My personal goal for the time being is refactoring on spools/
> pipelines.
>
> In other words, the advantage I mean is to handle spools and
> workflows with uniform interfaces. Once such interfaces were
> implemented, it is much easier to replace storage with other
> backend.
>
> Conversely, disadvantage I mean is to keep disunited interfaces
> by accumulating makeshift changes. I hardly agree to the argument
> such as "we can do it by adding one more field to xxx_table".

  • [sympa-developpers] Change on bulk spool was Re: 6.2 / 7.0 organization in the coming months, IKEDA Soji, 10/14/2014