devel - [sympa-developpers] YAPC::Europe!

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: David Verdin <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-developpers] YAPC::Europe!
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2014 11:48:19 +0200

Dear all,

Just a quick input: Étienne and I are going to YAPC::Europe in Sofia this August to present Sympa to the european perl community, yay!
Here's the link to the abstract: http://act.yapc.eu/ye2014/talk/5625

On this occasion, we will present Sympa as a development project. That means I will be presenting the current team (you) and what we expect for the future. I'll make a strong focus on the current refactoring in the trunk, and all the software engineering behind (tests, Jenkins, etc.).
I'll put a strong emphasis on what I think is essential for the project: getting people involved. That's the point of current Guillaume's work and Soji insisted strongly on this topic during a recent conversation he and I had recently. So I think that everybody agrees on this. I don't think we will be under git at the point of the conference, but that doesn't mean I can't speak about it.

Stefan Hornburg (past Debian Sympa package maintainer) will be there. I'll try to catch up with him to speak about synchronicity between development and packaging.

As a final touch, I intend to offer a free mailing list server hosting the world Perl community at the end of my speech. I discussed it with my mamangement and they agreed to offer such a service to the community for free, as long as RENATER's name is credited somewhere. I really hope the community will agree with this. That would be a great boost to the software's popularity - or at least, its fame. It would be also a good thing for the community, because that would remove the necessity to maintain the list server internally.

Well, that sums up the situation, I think.

Oh, yes, one last thing: Would you agree to send me a picture of yourself? I would like to do a small funny slide about the current development team, to help people understand how the project is structured...

Best regards,

David
--
A bug in Sympa? Quick! To the bug tracker!

David Verdin
Études et projets applicatifs

Tél : +33 2 23 23 69 71
Fax : +33 2 23 23 71 21