devel - Re: [sympa-developpers] [sympa-commits] sympa[11053] trunk: [svn] Retrieving several modifications on i18n from sympa-6.2-branch.

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Guillaume Rousse <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-developpers] [sympa-commits] sympa[11053] trunk: [svn] Retrieving several modifications on i18n from sympa-6.2-branch.
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2014 19:57:01 +0200

Le 21/06/2014 16:10, address@concealed a écrit :
Revision
11053
Author
sikeda
Date
2014-06-21 16:10:49 +0200 (sam. 21 juin 2014)

Log Message

[svn] Retrieving several modifications on i18n from sympa-6.2-branch.
This commit introduces a dependency (Class::Singleton) without any prior discussion about its impact, or its opportunity. For someone so verbose about details such as the semantic difference between a comma and a dash in a copyright statement, or about the need of an executable bit for test argument, this is quite shocking.

Moreovoer, I'm not even impressed by the technical relevance of this change, as I don't see much technical advantage of:

package Sympa::Anything;

my $language = Sympa::Language->instance();

over

package main;

our $language = Sympa::Language->new(
lang => $options{lang} || Sympa::Site->lang()
);

package Sympa::Anything;

my $language = $main::language;

The first version allows any part of the code to access a global language instance, even if the top-level didn't explicitely created it, but in this case, it won't be properly initialized from the configuration.

The second version is simpler to read, stricter to use, but ensures than incorrect code will fails violently when trying to use a non-existing object.

And given than it's the current model I'm trying to generalize in trunk, I'm less than happy to be imposed another one without discussion.
--
Guillaume Rousse
INRIA, Direction des systèmes d'information