devel - Re: [sympa-developpers] Working on repository

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Guillaume Rousse <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-developpers] Working on repository
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 16:20:09 +0100

Le 21/01/2014 07:33, IKEDA Soji a écrit :
Guillaume,

Second,

* Of course, we are encouraged to make chages boldly. However, we
also should take care that our changes will be disclosed to
public.

It is not neccessary to commit change each time when you move each
file. Moreover, it will make commit logs hard to grasp: users have
to track tens of (sometimes more than a hundred of) commits to
understand what was done.

Let's keep in our mind that repository will be browsed not only by
us, core developers, but many external developers and even all the
future developers. Extreamly minced commits will become burden on
development.

We would be better to accumulate multiple changes related to one
another and to commit them at once.

(Of course it depends. Anyway, we should not commit unrelated
changes at once.)

In this way, I believe that (for example) reordering work will be
done by less than ten commits. --- But before resuming the work,
please read next.
The desirable commit granularity is an highly subjective issue. I personaly think than smaller commits are easier to read review, and eventually revert, but that's indeed discussable.

However, given than I can barely work half a day per week on Sympa codebase, pushing small modifications avoid locking other contributors, including yourself, or forcing me to merge concurrent change with unfinished work.

Last,

* We would be better to spend enough time so that we would not
murder the time anymore: At first explain what to do, then
discuss, and commit at last.

You probably think that "In such way, doubled to tripled time will
be spent". If you think so, you are wrong.

If you explained what you were planning in advance, unnecessary
controversy will be avoided. In addition, discussion in advance
will reduce reworks on controversial commits.

As a result, both time spent for commit works and duration of
development will be shorten.

And needless to say, commit log will become more intelligible by
everyone.
What make development long (and painful) is not the lack of prior discussion IHMO, but endless bikeshedding, such as comparative value of coma vs dash in a copyright statement. Especially for a project distributing release with outdated information for more than 10 years now without any problem sofar.
--
Guillaume Rousse
INRIA, Direction des systèmes d'information