devel - Re: [sympa-developpers] Modeline and $Id: ...$ line

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Guillaume Rousse <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-developpers] Modeline and $Id: ...$ line
  • Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 15:01:48 +0200

Le 20/10/2013 04:57, IKEDA Soji a écrit :
Hi all,

Guillaume developped modeline for vi (vim) and emacs.
It may be revised according to currently suggested ~/.perltidyrc.
As a result, beginning of each file will be composed as below:

-------------------- >8 -------------------- >8 --------------------
#!--PERL--
# -*- indent-tabs-mode: nil; -*-
# vim:ft=perl:et:sw=4:textwidth=78:ts=8
# $Id$

# Sympa - SYsteme de Multi-Postage Automatique
<<Omitted below>>
-------------------- 8< -------------------- 8< --------------------
(Note: #! line will be omitted in module (*.pm) files.)

I'll make two proposal.

1. Modelines would be removed.

- It can support limited number of editors.
E.g.: Someone can wish the line for jEdit to be added.
If 'someone' is a active developer, and need a specific modeline for his specific editor, let's consider adding it. As long as we don't have more modelines than we have of license noise in each file, that's a non-issue for me.

- Programmers can "revise" them.
E.g.: I hesitated to or not to add "fenc=utf-8" into vim
line for a short time; someone can try to add complete settings
for cperl-mode (and perl-mode) on emacs.
If that's useful, just add it.

I'd rather ask the question this way:
- it is currently useful ? slightly
- what's the cost ? almost null
=> no reason to remove them

We might rather present recommended configurations of editors
(Appendix C of PBP shows some examples) on developer page and remove
this line.
What's the expected gain ?

2. $Id$ line would be removed or replaced with the equivalents on git.

On git, "$Id$" will be replaced by hash of each file. Approximately
equivalent one to Subversion/CVS will be "$Format: %f %h %ci %cn$"
(export-subst have to be enabled: See section 7.2 in
<http://git-scm.com/book/>).

Or, this line would be simply removed.
This kind of information is usually far less useful when using git. However, we're still using subversion, and I don't seen any progress moving toward git.

--
Guillaume Rousse
INRIA, Direction des systèmes d'information