devel - Re: [sympa-developpers] RFC: attribute management

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: IKEDA Soji <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-developpers] RFC: attribute management
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 01:20:36 +0900

I'd like to have a bit more time to decide on this issue.

Besides "get_" prefix (I'll write on this later again),
Guillaume's proposal also predicates obligatory null arguemnt list
"()", e.g. "time()", "$entity->head()", ...

Yet, this "method should look like method" rule is broken
occasioalily in Perl coding, e.g. "time", "$entity->head", ...

I glanced over SYNOPSIS sections of 49 packages listed in moddef.pm
to find out whether they explicitly specify null argument list or
not:

Yes at all ...... 9 packages
No, but new() ... 1 package
No at all ....... 13 packages
Unknown ......... 23 packages (no null arguments appear)

It is difficult to decide either is dominant. There seem to be
three options:

(A) Always specify "()".
(B) Always omit "()".
(C) Don't care.

I'll support (C). Because (A) and (B) are (beside very very rare
exceptions) identical each other in meaning and even in syntactical
effects. Unlike perltydying, regulating it needs manual
intervention by developers, and it seems waste of human resource
for me.

Regards,

--- Soji

--