devel - Re: [sympa-developpers] Lock problem?

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: "IKEDA, Soji" <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-developpers] Lock problem?
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 17:43:44 +0200

On Thu, 16 May 2013 10:23:41 +0900
I wrote:
> However, currently Lock::lock() locks _lock file_, not the file
> passed to Lock::new(). So lock files can not be removed as long as
> any processes are running.
>
> Is this behavior unnecessary, isn't it?

It is necessary, because "forward locking" (locking files even if it does not
exist, I don't know what to call it officially though) is required.

flock(2) can not perform forward locking. That seems why current behavior of
Sympa::Lock is --- locking lock files instead of target files themselves.

File::NFSLock can perform forward locking.

So I propose that File::NFSLock should be solely used and that flock(2) should
not be used anymore.

I assume that File::NFSLock works on any Unix-like environments. Is this
assumption true? (File::NFSLock uses "hardlink magic").

Regards,

--- Soji