devel - [sympa-developpers] Is BounceMessage class really neede ?

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Guillaume Rousse <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-developpers] Is BounceMessage class really neede ?
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 13:25:31 +0200

Hello.

I'm discovering merge results.

I'm quite sceptic about the Sympa::BounceMessage usefulness, which basically turns all functions previously in Tools::Bounce to methods, attached to a new subclass of Sympa::Message.

It means than if I have an instance of Sympa::Message, I first need to rebless it as a Sympa::BounceMessage first before being able to analyse it: bad design.

Morevoer, I'm also skeptic about methods such as store_bounce(), than just serialize the message content into some directory retrieved from configuration:
- how is serializing a bounce message different from serializing a normal message ?
- it creates yet another dependency between a component (a message object) and the configuration, the kind of relationship I've been trying to kill for 6 months...

You can achieve exactly the same purpose by calling a yet-to-define store() methods in Sympa::Message class, and handling the target directory in the calling code.

Basically, I'd either:
- move all methods of Sympa::BounceMessage directly in Sympa::Message
- keep all of them as functions in Sympa::Tools::Bounce

The later option has my preference, as we have exactly the same kind of problem with antivirus scanning.

BTW, there is no 'use Sympa::BounceMessage' anywhere in the code currently...
--
Guillaume Rousse
INRIA, Direction des systèmes d'information