devel - Re: [sympa-developpers] A designe discussion regarding the rool back to filesystem spools

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: IKEDA Soji <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-developpers] A designe discussion regarding the rool back to filesystem spools
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 23:52:28 +0900

Sorry for delaying response. In the last week it keeps 35°C at
Tokyo. In short, Tokyo is hot.

Shortly, I agree to David's proposal.

On Fri, 12 Jul 2013 14:32:56 +0200
David Verdin <address@concealed> wrote:
> Le 12/07/13 05:27, IKEDA Soji a écrit :
> > BTW: Rainy season, the season of hydrangea, has end in Tokyo.
> > Summer is come. Would we be better to release Sympa 6.2 faster,
> > or be better to get well-factored codebase? ...I cannot decide.
> Well, here is a proposal I made to Marc and Guillaume when I met them a
> few weeks ago. by looking at the history of discussion on this list, I
> forgot to inform you of this discussion; For this, I apologize.
>
> As we are far past the delay I had in mind for releasing the 6.2, I
> propose that we don't release the 6.2.
> instead, we will continue our refocatoring over the summer and relase a
> 7.0 with the new code base in September / October.
>
> The advantage of this is that we won't have to support a code base that
> we already now is doomed to disappear, letting us concentrate on code
> improvments.
> Also, once I'm done rolling back to filesystem spools, I'll merge the
> current branches and put all that on git. That will be the basis for
> development of the 7.0. In that context, not releasing the 6.2 will
> prevent having to handle frequent merges between SVN and git.
>
> So that's roughly the plan I had in mind.
>
> Before merging, I want to be able to make all the spools work on the
> filesystem. That way, I'll know if troubles come from the merges or from
> the current code.
>
> Do you agree with this plan of action?

A few comment/questions:

- My local work to refactor interaction between messages and
spools will be finished in this month. May I continue it?

- I wish, if possible, the codebase just before merging to Git
would be released and announced broadly as "7.0a1" or so, to
collect feedbacks from the user community.

- On git workplace, who would/should check, proof or approve pull
requests sent by us (current developers) or others?

> Regards,
>
> David

Regards,

--- Soji