devel - [sympa-dev] Any update on switching to Git?

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Andrew Chilton <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-dev] Any update on switching to Git?
  • Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 16:48:09 +1200

Hi everyone,

I have some patches to push to Sympa and I think I have a branch in
Subversion but I'm not quite sure the status of it (I believe it had
to be updated or something). Therefore I'm not really sure of the next
step to somehow show you all.

Alternatively, I used 'git svn' to fetch the entire Subversion
repository and have converted it into what I think is a sane layout. I
wondered if might be a kickstart to using it. However, before using
it, it needs to be looked at by some of you to make sure I did the
conversion correctly. I *think* I have done it correctly but I'm not
100% sure. If you want to help, have a look at the master branch, a
few recent branches and a few recent tags and make sure they're
pointing at the correct place.

Is this something we'd like to do?

*Note*: I'm not prescribing using this repository but I can see one of
a few things happening from here on in:

1) we love it, it's correct, we use it
2) we like it, it seems ok, but I need to keep it up to date
(parrallel with svn) for a while whilst we switch
3) I don't have it quite right and I'll need to blow it away,
re-create it with changes and then do one of the above
4) we like it, we want it, but not quite yet
4) we don't like it at all and keep using svn (note: I won't be
offended if this is the case)

I know that there are various procedures that would have to be changed
if we were to switch to Git and I'm completely happy helping where I
can. I'm also happy if you guys want to switch later or not switch at
all. I'll be around if anyone needs any help or even if they just want
to poke around.

The Git repo lives here[1] and you can clone it with [2]. Here you can
see all the branches[3] and tags[4]. Note that this repo is not the
final resting place for me, but just an interim measure. Also note
that I'm not happy I actually have the tags correct, but that remains
to be seen. This may need re-doing.

[1] http://git.appsattic.com/?p=sympa.git;a=summary
[2] git clone http://git.appsattic.com/sympa.git
[3] http://git.appsattic.com/?p=sympa.git;a=heads