devel - [sympa-dev] list of lists page chapter n+1: write locks

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Andras Bendzsak <address@concealed>
  • To: sympa dev <address@concealed>
  • Subject: [sympa-dev] list of lists page chapter n+1: write locks
  • Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 17:24:52 +0100

Hi All,

Many times has been discussed that the list if lists page load very
slow in large mailing list servers at the first time.

I found a small improvement in the locking system. The Locking system
write the process pid to the lock file when the lock type is write.
This doubles the necessary io operations. I had replaced the pid number
($$) with an empty string and the loading time has improved
significantly.

Is this pid number used by any part of sympa? If not I
recommend to remove this feature.

This is the relevant part of the Lock.pm:

## Keep track of the locking PID
if ($mode eq 'write') {
print $fh "$$\n";
}
}else {
&do_log('err', 'Failed locking %s: %s', $lock_file, $!);
return undef;
}

--
Andras Bendzsak

  • [sympa-dev] list of lists page chapter n+1: write locks, Andras Bendzsak, 12/19/2010