devel - [sympa-dev] patch to make custom form fields available for web-based list creation

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: "Philip Crandall" <address@concealed>
  • To: <address@concealed>
  • Subject: [sympa-dev] patch to make custom form fields available for web-based list creation
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 11:29:16 -0600

Hello,

I have a need to use custom form fields in the web list creation process (bin/etc/web_tt2/create_list_request.tt2).  You can supply custom fields in an xml file passed to sympa.pl, but the only fields available for web-based creation are the existing ones.

An example of a use case I have for this is allowing users to provide an ldap group that is then built into a datasource in the config.tt2 list creation template so that the user does not have to provide all ldap settings and we do not have to provide them in the data sources admin (i.e. we would only expose the group name and they could remove the group by deleting the group name and saving the config).

Sample config.tt2

include_ldap_query

      host ldap.uchicago.edu

      suffix ou=accounts,dc…

      timeout 10

      filter (&(isMemberOf=[% ldap_group %]))

      attrs mail

      select all

      scope one

-where ldap_group would be the name of the form field in create_list_request.tt2

I’ve worked out how to provide additional fields and tested it as a proof of concept.  I think it can be done in a generic way with things like textarea elements being handled in the config.tt2.  I would like to get feedback on concerns and/or usefulness.

Thanks,

Philip

Philip Crandall

NSIT Network-Based Services