devel - [sympa-dev] msg spool being processed in alphabetical order

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Micah Anderson <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-dev] msg spool being processed in alphabetical order
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 13:44:27 -0400

The way sympa processes the spool/msg directory appears to be
alphabetically, which causes us some problems when the spool a number of
messages pending.

For example, sympa will process messages up to the letter 'f' and then a
new message will come in starting with the letter 'a' and it will
*immediately* process that one next, even though the other ones have
been around for a lot longer.

This makes clearing out messages that have been spooled for some time
problematic because the poor lists that start with a 'z' will take
forever to eventually get processed.

If I look at my msg queue from this morning, I see messages sitting
there from 3 hours ago because they start with 'v', 'z', 'w', 'u',
etc. there is a message that came in for a list starting with 'a' and it
was processed immediately.

In my opinon, Sympa should figure out the dates/time and deal with
messages by oldest first.

Micah

  • [sympa-dev] msg spool being processed in alphabetical order, Micah Anderson, 10/10/2008