devel - Re: [sympa-dev] Patch Sympa to send a custom message for each subscriber

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: address@concealed
  • To: address@concealed
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] Patch Sympa to send a custom message for each subscriber
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 08:32:38 +0100

address@concealed wrote:
I know this is not possible yet according to the following:
http://www.sympa.org/faq/tips_and_howto#how_to_customize_each_message_for_each_subscriber

Regardless I need to do this with my installation of Sympa (5.2.3). Has anyone
done this yet or can anyone point me in the right direction on where to begin
like what program(s) that will need to be updated to do so?
I was thinking maybe mail.pm would be the program to patch but if anyone has
already done this it would be great if you could share the code with me or let
me know of anything tricky to updating Sympa to do this.
Yes 'mail.pm' is the main module that must be patched for that but as this is quite a big change, it is important to start the job from the very latest Sympa version : 5.4b1 which is going to be released as stable soon. Otherwise it will be probably impossible to apply your patch to Sympa trunk and it will be lost.

We already have notice this feature request and we think it would be possible to parse message footers for each subscriber using some user attributes. Not to difficult if we just use Sympa internal user attributes. More difficult if you want Sympa to apply some user attributes from your information system.
May be it could use the new pretty feature introduced by Alice de Bignicourt. It allow the list owner to define some user attibutes that will be asked to new subscribers. This feature is not yet documented but you can use it easily from list admin interface in the "Edit list config" / "miscellaneous" section.

You can try it on our demo serveur http://demo.sympa.org/sympa . I'am sure that you will move to version 5.4 if you try it !

Regards
Serge