devel - [sympa-dev] wwsympa do_change_email() question

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: address@concealed
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-dev] wwsympa do_change_email() question
  • Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 13:18:09 -0800

Hello,

In 5.3.3 - When a user changes their sympa email address, the user will have
to resubscribe to every list they were previously subscribed to.

What happens is do_change_email calls List check_list_authz() on every list
the user is a member of to see:

A) if the 'old' email address is authorized to unsubscribe from the
subscribed email lists
B) if the 'new' email address is authorized to subscribe to the email lists

Inevitably, "A" is successful, and "B" is not. What this means is that one
has a new email address on the system, but no lists. If one changes back to
the old email address, we see that one still has no subscribed lists.

At this moment, I see no security rational for this behaviour. Of course,
there may be a well-thought out reason for why do_change_email is implemented
with a call to check_list_authz... as opposed to just granting the
subscriptions to the new email address.

The problem with the current behaviour is that a user will have to
resubscribe to every list they were previously subscribed to. This might be
a very time-consuming process...

Thanks!
Charles Paul

  • [sympa-dev] wwsympa do_change_email() question, epsas, 11/11/2007