devel - [sympa-dev] Re: Unicode vs. UTF-8

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Hatuka*nezumi - IKEDA Soji <address@concealed>
  • To: Olivier Salaün - CRU <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-dev] Re: Unicode vs. UTF-8
  • Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 12:27:12 +0900

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 11:27:49 +0100
Olivier Salaün - CRU <address@concealed> wrote:

> It is probably worth building a prototype to check that we don't have
> unexpected behaviors after these changes.
> Do you have some time/energy to make a patch that switch from Unicode to
> UTF-8?

I have submitted it:

https://sourcesup.cru.fr/tracker/download.php/23/167/1271/53/sympa-MAIN-20061118-unicode_to_utf8.patch

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 19:02:50 +0900
Hatuka*nezumi - IKEDA Soji <address@concealed> wrote:

> After all, changes needed to switch from Unicode to UTF-8 are likely:
> - To read raw config files then to convert them to UTF-8.
> - To change Language::gettext()'s output from Unicode to UTF-8.
> - To remove Template::Directive::OUTPUT hack (see src/tt2.pl).
> - To disable PerlIO layer on wwsympa.fcgi.

Additionally, following changes should be made:

- Message headers should be decoded to UTF-8 for templates.
- Following functions accept Unicode string so that they determine
appropriate charset / encoding:
MIME::EncWords::encode_mimewords()
MIME::Charset::body_encode()
- Log content should be encoded to be filesystem encoding.
- Shared file names should be handled by UTF-8.
- Miscelaneous:
- Perl module updates (for bug fixes).
- Now topics.conf may also be encoded to UTF-8.
- HTTP Date: header should be formatted by neutral locale.
- Archive subjects had been encoded to UTF-8 by MHonArc.

--- nezumi