devel - [sympa-dev] Re: strftime and encoding (was Charset/encoding for e-mail message)

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Hatuka*nezumi - IKEDA Soji <address@concealed>
  • To: Olivier Salaün - CRU <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-dev] Re: strftime and encoding (was Charset/encoding for e-mail message)
  • Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2006 07:56:03 +0900

On Fri, 03 Nov 2006 16:14:11 +0100
Olivier Salaün - CRU <address@concealed> wrote:

> Hatuka*nezumi - IKEDA Soji wrote:
> > I got it about strftime().
> >
> > strftime() accepts/returns a string encoded by charset that is
> > determined by current system locale. So (also, preferred formats
> > of date/time depend on locale) ---
> >
> > POSIX::strftime(FORMAT, TIME)
> >
> > may be replaced with:
> >
> > Encode::decode(gettext("_charset_"),
> > POSIX::strftime(Encode::encode(gettext("_charset_"),
> > gettext(FORMAT)),
> > TIME))
> >
> > (I assume gettext("_charset_") designates the equivalent one of
> > $locale2charset{...}. Is it right?)
> >
> We've applied the sympa-MAIN-20061103-strftime.patch patch you proposed,
> except for the part that concerns xgettext.pl.
> Could you please present what is the goal of the patch for xgettext.pl ?

Preferred formats of date/time depend on locale: For example on
Japanese, year-month-day(-dayofweek) order is almost exclusively
used, months aren't written by their names but their numbers, of
course "at" is English word;) etc.

Modification on xgettext.pl aims to pick up format arguments of
gettext_strftime, a new function introduced by remainder of the
patch, and to take it into PO catalogs. It may recognize following
patterns in Perl sources ---

gettext_strftime "FORMAT", ARRAY...
gettext_strftime("FORMAT", ARRAY...)

--- nezumi