devel - Re: Pronounciation of "Sympa" was Re: [sympa-dev] Charset/encoding for e-mail message

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Hatuka*nezumi - IKEDA Soji <address@concealed>
  • To: Olivier Salaün - CRU <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: Pronounciation of "Sympa" was Re: [sympa-dev] Charset/encoding for e-mail message
  • Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 19:33:30 +0900

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 16:55:16 +0200
Olivier Salaün - CRU <address@concealed> wrote:

> > BTW this must be a FAQ: How should "Sympa" be pronounced, whether
> > "sympa(-thetic)" in English, "sympa(-thique)" en français, another
> > or ...everything?
> >
> We pronounce it the French way but most non French people pronounce it
> the English way.
> What would be the Japanese way ? Please send us an MP3...
> We might start a collection of MP3 on sympa.org, pronounced in each
> language.

In Japanese, foreign words are written using one of its two sets of
phonetic characters: By transliteration, "Sympa" may be written as
サンパ /sa//m//pa/ for French and シンパ /si//m//pa/ for English.
Because latter word is solely used to express "sympathizer (of
political group)" in Japanese, I prefer French one.

I'd like to send MP3 in the near future.

--- nezumi