devel - Re: [sympa-dev] Is a lock need for /stats ?

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Olivier Salaün - CRU <address@concealed>
  • To: Kazuo Moriwaka <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] Is a lock need for /stats ?
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 11:50:41 +0200

You are right, we don't use locks while writing the stats file, mainly because Sympa has evolved and it was not initially designed initially for concurent access.

Currenlty sympa uses locks only while synchronizing members with external datasource because it can take some time. If we were adding lock magement for stats and config, we would probably use the same subroutines (tools::lock() and tools::unlock())

Kazuo Moriwaka wrote:

I want to use sympa on the NFS system. I'm not clear about sympa's internal
structures, yet.
I read savestats() function in List.pm. I cannot find any lock for writing
'/stats' file.

Is this OK? Or it should be fixed with LockFile::Simple module or any locking
system?