devel - [sympa-dev] Re: [sympa-users] Custom Filtering on Headers

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Aumont - Comite Reseaux des Universites <address@concealed>
  • To: Senandung Mendonan <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-dev] Re: [sympa-users] Custom Filtering on Headers
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 15:49:54 +0200

Senandung Mendonan wrote:
Dear list,

I have a special requirement in my environment. Before sending mail to a mailing list in sympa, the sender can opt to _exclude_ certain members from receiving the mail, by sticking the following string in the header:-

with address@concealed being the person being excluded. More persons can be listed by adding more X-Sympa-Exclusions headers.

Currently, as a short-term solution, I created server side filters on the local delivery end of each recipient (e.g. Cyrus's sieve, procmail, or maildrop's mailfilter, depending on mail back end used) to drop any mails with such header matching the recipient's email address.

I'm looking for a real solution: to let sympa do the filtering upon expansion of the list. Anybody done something close to this? Where is the best place to hack the filters in? Or can this be done in the configs?

Hummm. Maybe the work from Gwenaelle Bouteille (cru) will help you :
  1. she has reorganized all the procedure related to message emission to make it cleaner
  2. she produce a internal documentation (25 pages) about this part of the code
  3. she's now working on message distribution controled by message topics and user preference.
This feature can help you because it is a way where a message is not distributed to every subscribers of the list because of some properties of the message (and some user preferences). The first step was absolutly needed before to introduce more complexity in message distribution process.

All this will be a new branch is Sympa CVS as soon as 5.01b is renamed 5.0 stable.

We don't plans to introduce in Sympa the feature as you describe it.

Serge Aumont

ps : please use address@concealed (not sympa-users) when describing such problem about Sympa's developement orientation.

  • [sympa-dev] Re: [sympa-users] Custom Filtering on Headers, Aumont - Comite Reseaux des Universites, 04/13/2005