devel - Re: [sympa-dev] using sunone products

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Keith Clay <address@concealed>
  • To: Olivier Salaun - CRU <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] using sunone products
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 13:10:06 -0500

Olivier Salaun - CRU wrote:

Hi Keith,

We've always seen LDAP as the information system. Therefore Sympa needs to interoperate with LDAP to build mailing lists (based on groups), authenticate users, provide privileges. But we don't see any interest for storing Sympa's internal data in LDAP. Sympa's database should not be accessed by external applications because these apps will thereby bypass authentication and authorization processes. If you need to access Sympa data, then you should rather access Sympa services via the SOAP interface.

Maybe you can explain what are your needs ?

address@concealed wrote:

I am interested in converting this to use the sunone messaging server and ldap. I would like to move away from sql and store information in ldap.

Adding the mailing list to ldap won't be hard. Moving from sql to ldap may be more difficult. If these are controlled by perl scripts, then it would be a matter of time.

Any thoughts?

We have high avaible LDAP servers which we use to store other info. Where it is does not stop us from accessing the info directly, just one or more steps. We don't have a problem using the API, we just want to use LDAP rather than flat files or RDMS.

How hard would it be to switch this to ldap?

keith

Keith Clay, address@concealed
Lead Programmer, Web Integration and Programming
286 Adams Center for Teaching Excellence
Abilene Christian University
Abilene, TX 79699
(325) 674-2187
(325) 674-2834
(**Note Area code change from 915 to 325**)