devel - Re: [sympa-dev] A radical idea ... SQL-based MLM

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Peter Nixon <address@concealed>
  • To: Kevin McCann <address@concealed>
  • Cc: Jim Rowan <address@concealed>, address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] A radical idea ... SQL-based MLM
  • Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2003 17:27:59 +0200

Kevin McCann wrote:

You had me agreeing with you until you made it MySQL-specific. SQL <>
MySQL. Maybe I misinterpreted you -- but I try to look in other
directions when I find a tool that is locked into MySQL. We use
postgres whenever possible.

Hi Jim,

A year or two I might have agreed with you. But MySQL has come a long way.
Worth another look, parhaps? In any event, I could live with Postgres. I
just want something that is SQL based. I want to be able to use great
scripting languages like PHP to get access to MLM data. I want to be able to
do SELECTs and UPDATEs and INSERTs *easily*.

But being able to choose the SQL DB type would be the best thing. My
preference is MySQL but I respect the fact that yours is not.

Why on earth would you make it MySQL specific. I know MySQL has been "growing up" in the last year or so but it does still lack someof the features of Postgres. In any case there are plenty of projects around that happily support both.

They've already made the "database is required" statement. You're
really just talking about moving all the control and run-time
information into the database from files where they currently live.
("just" in that sentence includes a huge amount of work, I understand...
:) From an architectural style point of view, I think it is a good fit.

Yes, you get the idea. Take a look at the tables that Lyris List Manager
uses:

http://www.lyris.com/lm_guide/5.0/databases.html

The tables of particular interest are Lists, Members, Messages, Sites,
Inmail, Outmail, Log

For each one, click on the table name, then the SQL link at the top of the
page. This will give you a list of the fields used.

Lyris got it right and has been ahead of the game for years now. It's just
too bad that they have a criminally exorbitant licensing fee and that
they're not open source.

The only thing they didn't do right, in my opinion, is have a one-to-one
relationship between members and lists. Meaning if I'm subscribed to three
lists, I have three email address/ password pairs. It would have been much
better to have:

List Table
=======
list-id
list_name
list_desc
etc

Members Table
===========
mem_id
mem_lastname
mem_firstname
mem_password
etc

Subscriber Table
============
sub_id
sub_list_id
sub_mem_id
etc

What I would like to do is build an open source MLM modelled after Lyris,
but with improvements. Yes, its a lot of work, which is why it would be
better to use an existing MLM as a jump-off point. And get MLM-savvy people
involved. This is why I'm turning to the Sympa community to see if there is
interest in a Sympa4SQL.

This can and should be done.

The applications that can and most certainly will be developed with a
SQL-based MLM is considerable. It will make a difference in the
collaboration and community-building landscape.

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Peter