devel - Re: [sympa-dev] archived.pl speed improvement

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Olivier Salaun - CRU <address@concealed>
  • To: Sergiy Zhuk <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] archived.pl speed improvement
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 11:00:18 +0200

Hi Sergiy,

Your patch makes sense, we've applied it to the CVS dev tree :
http://listes.cru.fr/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/sympa/wwsympa/archived.pl

Thanks.

Sergiy Zhuk wrote:

The default algorithm is not very effective in case you need to add an
article to an archive with a large number of articles. archived.pl is reading
and sorting the arctxt dir on every article to find the next article number,
so if you have several thousand messages there,
it's taking a lot of time. mhonarc takes a while to process the message too,
but at least we can eliminate the delay sympa is imposing by indexing the
arctxt once and keeping the last article number in a file.
The attached patch does that.
The change is transparent to current installations, since if we can't find
the index file, we create it on the fly.
It's also easy to reset the last number by removing the index file.
In addition, I've removed sort() in readdir() since if you have a lot of
messages for the same list, you won't be able to process anything else before
you process all of them, which is kinda bad for user experience.
I'm gonna re-do sympa queue processing in near future.

--
Olivier Salaun
Comite Reseau des Universites