devel - Re: [sympa-dev] Hardware requirements

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Olivier Salaun - CRU <address@concealed>
  • To: Sergiy Zhuk <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] Hardware requirements
  • Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 11:16:41 +0200

If the spool is not reloaded before processing each message then priorities don't make much sense.

We could image a new sympa.conf parameter allowing to shift to a FIFO behavior :
    msg_spool_processing    priority | fifo

But honestly we lack time for these kind of developments.

Sergiy Zhuk wrote:
In its main loop sympa.pl first checks all messages in spool to process
the ones with higher priority. You could probably short-circuit this
part of the code and process messages according to their arrival order
instead. It starts with this :

OK, so instead of processing the snapshot, sympa re-reads the directory
after processing each and every message and sorts the queue by name twice
(first in opendir(), second in the loop), then finds a message with the
highest priority.
This is really ineffective in case you have lots of messages spooled with
sendmail adding more as we run the current queue.
Do you think it would make more sense to read the queue dir once, process
all messages first, then read the directory again ?
Current algorithm is not very effective and doesn't prevent sympa spending
too much time on a single message either.

--
Olivier Salaun
Comite Reseau des Universites