devel - Re: [sympa-dev] Curiousities with CVS

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Olivier Salaun - CRU <address@concealed>
  • To: Stefan Hornburg <address@concealed>
  • Cc: Sympa Dev <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] Curiousities with CVS
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 12:28:25 +0100

Hi Stephan,

Stefan Hornburg wrote:
I have two problems with the sources from CVS.

First thing, the checkout/update process just stalls somewhere at the end:

[...]
S-> rename(CVS/Entries.Backup,CVS/Entries)
S-> unlink_file(CVS/Entries.Log)

What CVS client do you use ?
It works fine with the UNIX command-line CVS client :
cvs -d :pserver:address@concealed:/home/sympa/cvsroot login
cvs -d :pserver:address@concealed:/home/sympa/cvsroot export -D
today sympa

But we recommend not to run any CVS verisions of Sympa. Some might be much
instable.
Only tagged versions should be safely used.

Second, I tried to make a tar archive with "make dist". I followed the
instructions in INSTALL:
[...]
Then I ran make dist and the resulting tar archive contains only files from
the top level
directory.

Any comments and suggestions will be appreciated.

We have not coded the 'make dist' ; it has been included in the Makefile by
automake but
because we only use automake in the main Makefile (not in subdirectories) the
generated tar.gz
in not correct.

Here is how we build our tar.gz :
(Example: $cvs_version could be sympa-3_4_3 ; $version_sympa could be
sympa-3.4.3)

cvs export -r $cvs_version -d $version sympa
automake -a ; aclocal ; autoconf
make documentation
/bin/tar -cvf $version.tar $version
/usr/bin/gzip $version.tar

BTW : Sympa 3.4.3, the latest stable release of Sympa will be announced this
week. It only
contains bug fixes from 3.4.2.

--
Olivier Salaun