devel - v.4 suggestions (English version)

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: address@concealed
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: v.4 suggestions (English version)
  • Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 09:55:52 -0800

A while back there was a call for feature requests for v.4. Can we make
design suggestions, too? Answering my own rhetorical question in the
affirmative, I proceed.

I've noticed that a significant number of list owners, those without a great
deal of computer experience, find list configuration to be intimidating.
I've found the process of explaining it to them intimidating as well.

I believe that this could be alleviated if some of the drop-down selection
lists used currently were replaced with radio and selection buttons,
depending on whether an option were exclusive of others, or could be
combined with others.

Eg.,

Who can subscribe:

*Anyone *Restricted *Nobody
-Local Domain
-After Confirmation
-Notify Owner
-After Approval
-S/MIME

Who can send messages:

*Anyone
-After Moderation
-After Moderation if Multipart
-After Confirmation
-With Local Domain
-Except Bcc
-etc

*Subscribers
-After Moderation
-After Moderation if Multipart
-After Confirmation
-With Local Domain
-Except Bcc
-etc

*Moderators
-After Moderation
-After Moderation if Multipart
-After Confirmation
-Except Bcc
-etc

*Owners
-After Moderation
-After Moderation if Multipart
-After Confirmation
-Except Bcc
-etc

*Nobody

Of course, this would be of no value for parametres where the various
options are never combined ("Who can view list info", or "Who can invite
people"). But for parameters like the two above,
separating options one from another would make choosing options less work.
Each option could be considered individually, rather than as "packages" that
have to be broken down.

I hope this isn't the millionth time you've heard this.

GC

  • v.4 suggestions, gcrimp, 12/12/2002
    • v.4 suggestions (English version), gcrimp, 12/12/2002