devel - Re: [sympa-dev] Sympa 3.4 and Sympa 4.0

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Jérôme Marant <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] Sympa 3.4 and Sympa 4.0
  • Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 14:32:15 +0200 (MEST)

Hello,

En réponse à Aumont - Comite Reseaux des Universites <address@concealed>:

> Pleased to announce sympa-3.4 as the conclusion of multiple 3.3.6bX
> versions. This version as a long release note compared to last release
> 3.3.5 and we strongly recommend this upgrade.
>
> Now sympa-4.0 start !
>
> Here are some precision about what should Sympa 4.0 look like.
> You are probably waiting for some other features and it's now
> time for you to explain your wishes in address@concealed ! Your
> feed back is important to make priority in Sympa project.

OK, let's start with my first wish:

Complete separation between the mailing list manager and
its interface.
It means that anyone should be able to roll its own
interface for user and admin management of the list
(could be textual interface, web interface, whatever).

It could be possible to run Sympa on a given machine,
and its (web) interface on a different machine: currently
you must have the web server on the same machine as the
mailing list manager since wwsympa.cgi needs to access
sympa configuration files.

So WWSympa should be totally separated from Sympa,
modularity is the key. This means that Sympa would
have to stay away from wwsympa.conf and the latter
file must not be merged into sympa.conf.

That is all for now.

Cheers,

--
Jérôme Marant <address@concealed>