devel - Handling subscribers' full names

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: "Adam Bernstein" <address@concealed>
  • To: <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Handling subscribers' full names
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 11:31:44 -0700

Is there a deliberate reason that a subscriber's name entered in
the subscriber options for one list or in the Preferences section
does not then appear on other lists? It looks like it's necessary to
enter one's full name again for every list one joins or is added to,
which is not very desirable, but I can't quite figure out if that's a
bug or a design feature or somewhere in between.

What I'm most concerned about is having people's full names show up
in archived messages (where I have activated MHonArc's address mangling),
so there may be a second question here: Sympa seems to use its stored
full name for a subscriber in the archives, so if there is no full name for
the subscriber, it just uses the first element of their email address.
But ideally, it would instead get their full name from the From: header and
use that. Can that be implemented?

Thanks much.
adam
Tech consulting and virus-protected Member of Tech Underground
email & list service for nonprofits http://tech-underground.org
http://amberbug.org 415-596-6384

  • Handling subscribers' full names, Adam Bernstein, 06/27/2002