devel - Re: [sympa-dev] Problem with LDAP

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Olivier Salaun <address@concealed>
  • To: Jérôme Marant <address@concealed>
  • Cc: sympa-dev <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] Problem with LDAP
  • Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 12:18:28 +0200

Hi Jerome,

Jérôme Marant wrote:

> I happen to have a problem in my Debian package related to
> LDAP.
>
> Could you please answer the following questions:
> Is LDAP mandatory or optional currently ?

It is mandatory.

> Must a auth.conf file be present on the system in order to make sympa
> work ?

Not at all, auth.conf is only required to perform LDAP-based authentication.
Though, is current release of Sympa, a log entry tells :
«Cannot find /home/sympa/etc/auth.conf»

This has been moved to debug information now.

> What triggers the LDAP feature in Sympa?

Net::LDAP module is included in Sympa in the following cases :
1/ an 'include_ldap_query' parameter is defined in a
list config
2/ LDAP named filters are used
(
http://listes.cru.fr/sympa/doc/sympa/node8.html#SECTION00820000000000000000)
3/ an auth.conf has been found

> Someone told me he couldn't start Sympa without auth.conf but
> I don't really believe this. So I added an empty auth.conf but
> now wwsympa.fcgi complains not to find Net::LDAP (which has
> has been optional so far).

Unfortunaltely the 'require Net::LDAP' directive makes Sympa die
if the Net::LDAP module was not installed. WWSympa does this whenever
an auth.conf was found.

=> we have precised this condition to «if auth.conf was found AND
auth.conf is not emtpy».

This should solve the problem.
A patch is available :
http://listes.cru.fr/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/sympa/wwsympa/wwsympa.fcgi.diff?r1=1.229&r2=1.230&f=c