devel - Re: [sympa-dev] archives expiration

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Aumont <address@concealed>
  • To: Sergiy Zhuk <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] archives expiration
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 16:21:26 +0100

Sergiy Zhuk wrote:

> hi
>
> I was looking at mhonarc resource file and didn't find ExpireAge there...
> Do you think it would be a good idea to add some non-zero expiration time ?
> It's zero by default, which means messages in the archive will never be
> expired.
> I think this should be set to a year or so by default:
>
> <>
> 31536000
> </ExpireAge>
>
> Which brings the next question:
> Does sympa expire mail (non-html) archives at all ?
> I think it should as some lists have a high traffic and if archiving is
> enabled for them, that could become a problem.
I dont think it is a real technical problem to archive listes for a very
long time because Sympa split archive and now giga octet are very cheap,
but your are right, it may be usefull to remove old archive for exemple
because of law : "le droit à l'oubli".

Anyhow this must not be done using mhonarc ExpireAge feature because
this will not remove old RFC822 text file. We plans to works on sympa
archive in order to :

-have a single archive with both mail and web access (remove
expl/<listname>/archives directory)
-allow mounthly and yearly splited archive
-allow by option to use cookie or|and hidden mailto: in order to get
spam protection

We will also introduce expiration of old archives.

Regards
Serge

Serge Aumont Comité Réseaux des Universités
Campus Beaulieu
35042 Rennes Cedex