Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Jean Charles Delepine <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Date: 12 Mar 2001 09:42:15 +0100

I don't know if sympa developpers are reading BUGTRAQ... anyway, if
sympa can be for some help I think you can reply directly to aleph1.

Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 12:26:24 -0700
From: Elias Levy <address@concealed>
To: address@concealed

Please ignore those RedHat advisories that got approved earlier. Someone
is looping the list onto itself and those slipped by.

As its painfully obvious to many we have reached a point were we have
outgrown LISTSERV. We are looking for alternatives. Ideally we would like
to find a well written and security mailing list management software.

One of the issues we are trying to address is that of diverging interest.
We'd like to give people the capability to filter mailing list content
to their taste. I am not agreeable to the idea of breaking up the list
into smaller more focused pieces.

What I'd like is to give subscribers the ability to filter messages server
side or client side. In either case I should be able to tag messages
as belonging to one or more topics (e.g. Advisories / Linux / RedHat
or Chat / Unix) during the moderating process. One way to do this is to
add a new mail header to the approved message (e.g. X-Bugtraq-Topic).
Subscribers would then be able to tell the mailing list software what
topics they were interested in or if the mailing list is not capable
of this, at the very least they can filter messages client side via
procmail or similar facilities.

Open Source software is preferred as we may wish to modify it and
audit it. We are tired of L-Soft not responding to our needs or
actively developing LISTSERV.

An emulation layer for LISTSERV command would also be nice, as well
a software than understood more than a handle of bounced message formats.

So do any of you have any suggestions as to a piece of software that
may meet our needs?

--
Elias Levy
SecurityFocus.com