devel - database access could be MUCH speedier

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Fil <address@concealed>
  • To: Sympa-Dev <address@concealed>
  • Subject: database access could be MUCH speedier
  • Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 13:22:34 +0100

Dear sympa-coders,

after checking why my wwsympa was so sloooooooooww (like minutes before
giving me a do_search(address@concealed) I went into the code and discovered the
sad truth ;)

* wwsympa
1) asks the SQL database to give it a full list of subscriber
2) on each subscriber, checks to see if it matches the regexp
3) prints these records that match

So what's the database useful for? (In French: "A quoi ça sert que mysql se
décarcasse?")

wwsympa should
1) ask the SQL database for THOSE RECORDS THAT MATCH regexp
2) process that short list

The same is true when wwsympa wants to print out only the subscribers 100 to
125 : it should not request all then select a short list, but it should
issue a LIMIT 100,125 command in its SQL request.

(I've tried to patch the do_search thing, but I am not intimate enough with
List.pm and have not succeeded yet.)

-- Fil