devel - Sympa server beyond a firewall

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: "Nicolas Brouard" <address@concealed>
  • To: <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Sympa server beyond a firewall
  • Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 14:06:06 +0100

Hi,

I haven't found information on installing a sympa server on a host which is
behind a firewall. What I mean with a firewall is a front machine which
does NAT translation.

This means that the mailing-list 'liste' can be reached at
'address@concealed'.
The MX attribute and firewall settings are correct and the mails reach
correctly the 'host.firewall.domain' sympa server. NAT has translated IP
packets for host.domain into host.firewal.domain.

There are many ways to do the mail settings correctly (Postfix documentation
on firewalls is dense).

The correct setting of sympa server seems to set in sympa.conf:
## Name of host for Sympa
host host.domain

and not
host firewall.host.domain

With the first setting people who access wwsympa will know the public e-mail
address of the list 'address@concealed' and not the internal
'address@concealed' which is not accessible from outside. Most of
things works fine but you can't get access to the archives because they are
stored by sympa (or mhonarc I supposed) on a directory which name is the
private name
"/address@concealed/"
instead of the public
"/address@concealed/" .

I could add manually links or even look in more details at mhonarc to
suppress the 'firewall' item but is there a more direct and standard
solution within sympa?

With the second setting only intranet people will be able to access the web
archives.

I am not discussing the big disadvantage to put a mailing-list server beyond
a firewall.

Nicolas Brouard
Institut national d'etudes demographiques
133 Boulevard Davout
75980 Paris
mailto:address@concealed