devel - [sympa-dev] two messages - one key

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Hervé Maza <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-dev] two messages - one key
  • Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 18:34:31 +0000

Hi !
When sympa parses 2 messages in the same second for the same moderated
list, the 2 messages receive the same key for moderation. The editor
receives the two messages, but is unable to moderate all of them, since
only one remains in spool/mod. It's a low probability, but this incident
already occured (twice) in a list. The reason on that is the clause
"srand(time)" in List::send_to_editor. Due to the precision of time
function, srand(time) forces rand function to produce same sequence if
several messages are parsed in less than 1 second.
To avoid this problem, I plan to simply remove srand(time) instruction.
Does this change make the mod key really predictable ?
I think similar problem may occur with auth mode.

Herve Maza
Educnet (Sdtetic)