devel - [sympa-dev] Re: Sympa: suggestions

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Olivier Salaun - CRU <address@concealed>
  • To: Josep Román <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed, address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-dev] Re: Sympa: suggestions
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 09:11:00 +0100

Josep Roman wrote :
> I'm testing the moderation option with your Sympa software.
>
> It works without problems. However, I'd like to let you know my
> comments:
>
> In my opinion I find the whole process very time consuming, since per
> each message to be moderated, three messages are generated at the end
> (one saying there is a msg. to be moderated, other saying it was
> distributed, plus at the end the moderated message sent to the list,
> where probably the moderator also receives the mail).
> That generates a lot of duplicated traffic.
>
> I think if the site has wwsympa installed it should be an easier way to
> do the moderation.
> Here is my proposal:
>
> At the send parameter in the config file, it could be specified a
> "moderation with wwsympa" send attribute.
> If this attribute is set, the msg to be moderated is not sent as
> attachment with the mail "msg to be moderated".

You mean sympa would just send a summary of messages to moderate
+ WWSympa moderation URL ?

> On the other side, I would add a new parameter let's say
> "moderate_frequency" where the owner could define how often he should
> get a notice from Sympa telling that there are messages to be moderated.

This could be a per/moderator setup. Sympa already implements a "reception"
parameter in the "owner" paragraph. The feature you describe could
be set in config by :

editor
email address@concealed
reception digest

> If not defined or frequency equals 0 (for instance) a message would be
> always generated per each new message in any case (with wwsympa
> moderation, just a notice, without it a notice with the attached
> message).
> Otherwise, moderate_frequency would be the interval (in hours) where the
> editor would be messages to be moderated (every hour, 2 hours, etc...),
> or maybe instead hours minutes.

> Finally, it would be very nice if you could display on-line the
> attachments (gifs, jpg, etc...) inside wwsympa of the messages to be
> moderated.

We plan to do this, using MhOnarc which does MIME display very well.

> Hope it helps to improve the big functionality of Sympa.

Surely, it does help.
We can't when these features will be added, but
as far as they have sense, we keep them in the TODO list.

Thanks.

Olivier Salaun
Comite Reseaux des Universites