devel - Re: [sympa-dev] problem with postgres

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Raphael Hertzog <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] problem with postgres
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 19:34:45 +0200

Le Thu, Sep 30, 1999 at 05:50:58PM +0200, Olivier LACROIX écrivait:
> Now the problem is what must be made : change the method $dbh->{Active} by
> $dbh->ping ?

Well, $db->{Active} is not a method but a hash value. I don't know how it
is updated but we shouldn't rely too much on it since :

=item B<Active> (boolean, read-only)

True if the handle object is 'active'. This is rarely used in
applications. The exact meaning of active is somewhat vague at the
moment. For a database handle it typically means that the handle is
connected to a database ($dbh->disconnect should set Active off). For
a statement handle it I<typically> means that the handle is a select
that may have more data to fetch ($dbh->finish or fetching all the data
should set Active off).

> Is this method enough efficient (speed) ?

I guess it shouldn't be called too often even if it's documented as
an 'efficient' way of checking the connection. But let's try it !

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog >> 0C4CABF1 >> http://tux.u-strasbg.fr/~raphael/
<pub> CD Debian : http://tux.u-strasbg.fr/~raphael/debian/#cd </pub>