announce - [sympa-announce] Sympa 6.2.15 and 6.1.25 released!

Subject: Announcements of new sympa release

  • From: David Verdin <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [sympa-announce] Sympa 6.2.15 and 6.1.25 released!
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2016 17:46:52 +0200

Sympa 6.2.15 released

May 12th, 2016

RENATER is proud to release the newest version of Sympa to the open-source community.

Sympa 6.2.15 is the new stable version of Sympa.

  • Download sources
  • Check the release notes
  • Check the upgrade instructions if you come from pre-6.2 version

The most important change in this version is WWSympa does no longer respect HTTP request header fields noticing the request was forwarded (“X-Forwarded-Host:” etc.). In particular cases, you may require adjusting configuration.

  • Now wwsympa_url parameter defines the URL publicly accessed by users.
  • Contrarily “http_host” and “cookie_domain” parameters indicate the URI and/or domain which are locally recognized by wwsympa, i.e taken form “http_host” (“Host:” field) and “request_uri” CGI environments.
  • “Location:” response field sent by wwsympa to cause redirection also gives local URL.

If requests sent from users to wwsympa are rewritten by intermediate server(s), you should make sure that wwsympa server and rewriting server(s) are appropriately configured. For example when the server is placed behind some sort of reverse-proxy including Apache mod_proxy (with ProxyPass), nginx (using proxy_pass) and squid (in accelerator mode). Note that not all reverse-proxies rewrite requests. For example, Pound does never rewrite requests by default. If it is not the case, existing configuration need not changing.

A few other changes in this version:

  • configure can take an option ”–with-unitsdir=DIR” to install Systemd unit files. It would be used with ”–without-initdir” not to install System V init scripts. If specified, five unit files will be installed. A few more unit files to support nginx environment are provided but they are not installed automatically.
  • a new parameter, use_tls, appears to replace obsoleted “use_ssl” and “use_start_tls” parameters; note that these obsoleted parameters can stil be used. But the new one is way more convenient: “use_tls” takes one of following values corresponding to old ones:
    • “starttls” : use_ssl=0, use_start_tls=1.
    • “ldaps” : use_ssl=1, use_start_tls=0.
    • “none” : TLS/SSL is disabled.
  • Now STARTTLS may be enabled in LDAP datasource configuration of lists along with LDAPS.
  • The “Feedback” link will now be visible by listmasters only! We received enough mails from end users mis-interpreting this link with their local helpdesk.
  • Now [% path_cgi %] template variable respects “wwsympa_url” configuration parameter. Previously it was taken from CGI environment variable.

This version fixes also several bugs. Please have a look at the release notes to see which ones.

Sympa 6.1.25 released

May 12th, 2016

Sympa 6.1.25 is a maintenance version for the previous 6.1 branch of Sympa.

  • Download sources
  • Check the release notes

Since a long time, the Debian packagers of Sympa maintained several patches for some Sympa bugs. We finally incorporated them to the Sympa core, so the the fine packagers don't have to maintain these patches. As the 6.1 version is the one currently supported by Debian stable releases, we found relevant to tag a new 6.1 version. Many thank to E. Bouthenot for both maintaining the Debian package and pointing us these patches that really needed to be integrated upstream.

Please note that, as we did with 6.0 branch when 6.1 was the current stable branch, we will maintain the 6.1 branch and fix blocking bugs or security issues.

Matter of factedely enough, the 6.1.25 version is an anagram of the 6.2.15 version, the stable tag which was released the same day. It doesn't mean a thing but I realized this while typing the announce so I thought I would underline it for all of you, numerologist friends around.

--
A bug in Sympa? Quick! To the bug tracker!

David Verdin
Études et projets applicatifs

Tél : +33 2 23 23 69 71
Fax : +33 2 23 23 71 21

www.renater.fr
RENATER
263 Avenue du Gal Leclerc
35042 Rennes Cedex

GIF image

PNG image

  • [sympa-announce] Sympa 6.2.15 and 6.1.25 released!, David Verdin, 05/12/2016