en - [en@sympa] Spawning wwsympa-wrapper with systemd to run sympa with nginx

  • From: Nikolay Shaplov <address@concealed>
  • To: sympa-users <address@concealed>
  • Subject: [en@sympa] Spawning wwsympa-wrapper with systemd to run sympa with nginx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2023 20:54:55 +0300

Hi!

While upgrading my server, I found out that there is a new way to spawn
fastcgi wrappers, that uses systemd.

It is called socket activation. You configure a service that runs wrapper,
and
configure a unix socket, that will run that service as soon as this socket is
accessed.

So whenever nginx is accessed, it access the fast-cgi socket. Systemd sees
it,
and runs wwsympa-wrapper to process this request.

This method is actually recommended by spawn-fcgi authors, whenever
appropriate systemd is available.
https://redmine.lighttpd.net/projects/spawn-fcgi/wiki/Systemd

I've described this method in Debian Wiki page:
https://wiki.debian.org/Sympa/Nginx

You can try it. And it should be easily changed for other distributive that
has systemd.

I actually run this configuration on my own server.

Hope it will be useful.

--
Nikolay Shaplov aka Nataraj
Fuzzing Engineer at Postgres Professional

  • [en@sympa] Spawning wwsympa-wrapper with systemd to run sympa with nginx, Nikolay Shaplov, 03/06/2023