en - [en@sympa] new Sympa server - migrating database on go-live

  • From: Michael Heller <address@concealed>
  • To: sympa-users <address@concealed>
  • Subject: [en@sympa] new Sympa server - migrating database on go-live
  • Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2023 13:11:58 -0500

We have two new hosts — a Sympa app and a MySQL db — to replace our older v6.1.20 Sympa hosts.   We have created the Sympa database, imported the database from current production host (v6.1.20) and run the sympa upgrade command on a Sympa v6.2.70 installation.

The (current) data in the new Sympa db will be out-of-sync with the production on go-live date so we need the latest data from the hosts to be retired.

Is it possible to drop the Sympa tables from the Sympa database on the new db server and import once more?  Or will the database structure be incorrect?  That is, can we import the data into an existing Sympa db, or do we need to drop the Sympa db, (re)create, import data from soon-to-be-retired Sympa, and run the Sympa upgrade once more?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and cautionary tales!

~Michael H.