devel - Re: [devel@sympa] Proposal of DB improvements

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: IKEDA Soji <address@concealed>
  • To: Guillaume S <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [devel@sympa] Proposal of DB improvements
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 17:39:19 +0900

Hi Guillaume,

On 2023/02/21 16:32, Guillaume S wrote:
Hello

A part of users in our community are included in lists via DB request. Some of them use many emails (professionals and private for instance).

As far I understand two problems:
1) it is not possible to update via the Web API the "external" DB the users preferences even if the DB request is relatively easy and could be inserted like an include_sql file (having all information to update the DB except of course the user information which should be given as parameter of the request).

What do you mean 'the Web API', 'the "external" DB' and 'the users preferences'? What exactly is "to update via the Web API the "external" DB the users preferences?

Here is the list for developers. Perhaps you are looking for a way to configure what you want? If you are, please ask your question elsewhere.

2) in the sympa DB the users are identified via theirs email but changing the email you can loose the relation/identity of the person. We add an ID (auto increment unsigned int) and update the key in user_table (maybe not the best table): the primary key is the user Adress and this ID, the key shall be unique. So far a user can have many emails and if he/she is inserted via DB request all his/her emails can be added simultaneously and if he/she change his/her address with the ID it is always possible to found the user with all the right emails.

Sympa by its nature identifies users by email address, so IMHO it seems slightly difficult to process different email addresses as a single identity.

Concerning the second point: due to the fact that we change the user_table it seams to be impossible to upgrade sympa without effort. For me an ID (as number) is a standard issue in a DB and I don't really understand why it is not the case in sympa.

I hope that these proposals are acceptable and would help.

We would appreciate it if you could suggest specific changes in the issue, preferably including changes to the code to make it happen:
https://github.com/sympa-community/sympa/issues

Regards,
-- Soji

Best regards